Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chapter 1

UMF EDU 583 Reflections and Assignments

Handbook of Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge


TPCK - Chapter 1 Reflection

I believe that I come to reading and reflecting on this book from a unique perspective. I was a classroom teacher, of grades Pre-First to 3, for twenty-four years before accepting a K-3 Technology Integrator position. Due to budget constraints I am now back in the classroom teaching second grade. Having a “ foot in both worlds” triggered many thoughts as I read this chapter.
I was originally hired, by MSAD9, because I was an early elementary teacher who was attempting to integrate technology use into my first grade classroom. They wanted an educator in this role to better encourage and support other elementary teachers in technology integration. The department’s philosophy, at this time, was that the teachers were the content specials. The Technology Integrator’s job was to provide them with technology tools for their application. At this time I also served as a Learning Leader for SEED. This, grant supported, group offered training, awards and celebration to Maine educators integrating technology into their curriculum. SEED’s philosophy was very similar to the authors of TPCK. Teacher training opportunities were designed combining technological tools, content, and pedagogy. Understanding By Design elements were infused in these sessions. Often we had discussions about the difficulties we experienced from teachers who complained that they had “come to learn technology ... they didn’t need to know how to teach.” This same conversation replayed often in MSAD9 department meetings. A new technology manager was hired and a philosophical shift was made to supporting teachers in connecting technological tools, content, and pedagogy. Even with this shift, discussions of how to connect technology to teaching, still occurred.
As Technology Integrators we often met to create continuums of integration, rubrics, training materials and to express our concern over budget, and our time spent as technicians rather than as integrators. Our greatest dilemma was our conflicting empathy for overwhelmed teachers (overwhelmed with all the demands that are being placed on teachers) and the perception that technology integration was one more of these demands that we were enforcing. I often was met, by teachers, with the comment: “ I don’t have time for this. Why can’t you just teach my kids if I drop them off?”
Now that I have returned to classroom teaching I am struggling with the balance of content, pedagogy, and use of appropriate technological tools. I recognize myself as a teacher with a constructivist philosophy. Possibly this is why I have felt that it is essential that technology play a central role in my classroom. I have identified three goals for myself this year.

The first is to use technology equipment as everyday tools rather than novelty items or once a week “to do technology.”

The second is to integrate technology across a spectrum from supporting curriculum to enhancing and transforming learning.

Lastly, to use web tools for student communication of learning to a variety of audiences; promoting individual and collaborative growth.

I believe in the importance of technology integration, not for its own sake, but as a vital part of “good” teaching. Recognizing and maintaining the TPCK balance is difficult, especially as support services to teachers are being increasingly cut. I believe that there are many ways that teachers can support each other in this struggle, both formally and informally, but it is not a priority item at this time; at least not at the elementary level and not, I feel, at the administrative level. I wish that this book had been part of the Technology Department’s reading when I served in that role.

No comments:

Post a Comment