Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Perhaps a matter of imagination TPCK in mathematics education Neil F. Grandgenett

Reading this chapter reminded me of two things. The first is how much I like reading quotes by Albert Einstein. Because this one is such a keeper I’m writing it here so I can review it without having the book on hand.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

I think this is important, in all content areas, and more importantly as we integrate content areas and collaborate with others to tackle problems or celebrations for the future. My hope would be that we include a place for imagination in our lessons and projects and that we integrate content areas for application.

The second thing, I was reminded of as I read this chapter is how much I dislike mathematics, probably because I never understood it. My learning style is so nonlinear. When the author asked for a definition of mathematics I actually got it right. Understanding that mathematics is the study of patterns and interacting with them was an understanding that I didn’t come to until I was teaching Investigations in my classroom. Seeing the whole picture, seeing patterns and how they can be used was never an understanding or a strategy that was used in my mathematical learning (or not learning) experiences.

The philosophical debate about the use of technologies such as calculators when students may not know their basic-facts is one I’ve heard many times before. The reply that using technology inappropriately or too often may cause misconceptions and bad habits is one that can be applied to other content areas as well. Literacy teachers may feel that relying on spell check may cause issues with spelling, science teachers may take issue with data collecting and displaying technologies. Again the theme seems to run through all of these chapters that as educators we need to make informed choices about our content, students and technologies as we design learning experiences TPCK. This leads into the section that I thought was the most important nugget of this chapter. The author related that tessellation artist, M. C. Escher, was not successful in mathematics courses but his artwork is now uses to illustrate mathematical concepts. Technology can make for a more inclusive classroom reaching students with different learning styles, genders, races, and backgrounds. “The computers’ flexibility with instructional scaffolding, alternative representations, screen displays, audio languages, assessment. and teacher feedback makes reaching a wider range of students increasingly more possible as computers become more pervasive and ubiquitous.”

I took a podcasting class, online, last spring and saw the use of this tool as a method for providing instructional scaffolding. Several participants in the class were math teachers. They were taking the class so that they could make instructional podcasts for their students. Students would be able to review a lesson, step-by-step, as often as


needed. I thought this was great and I think this would have been great for a student such as I was.

I do think that there is a place for technology in mathematics. Maybe as it is just a matter of imagination.

3 comments:

  1. Kim and Lisa provided many good sites that i took advantage of bookmarking. I have a bookmark site for kids in my class and have many math sites bookmarked for their use. I prefer ikeepbookmarks as a tool but the concept is similar to portaportal; I just like ikeepbookmarks.com's graphic organization better.
    I realize that I tend to use technology as a basic skill support in math. I do use SketchUp for geometry concepts and that application really supports concepts in a way that I couldn't without the technology. I need to try to use more global project sites that can help me tie mathematics to real life situations. A site I found is:http://www.ct4me.net/math_projects.htm. This looks like a good site for project based learning through math. Another is http://www.globalclassroom.org/authors/florida/math/projects.html. This one seems to have several K-2 graphing projects that seem doable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy,

    I will have to try ikeepbookmarks, as I am all about organization! I tend to use technology for practicing basic skills in math too. I hope that maybe next year I will be better able to incorporate some real world lessons. If I only had more time... thanks for the additional sites, I will be sure to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy,

    I too will check out ikeepbookmarks, sounds good. I'm with you in regards to using technology to support basic math skills but some of the site I explored leaned toward problem solving and applied mathematics. The sites presented some interesting ways to get kids using their skills but in less traditional ways.

    ReplyDelete